Whether it’s severe weather or some other form of public safety emergency, there are a variety of ways the city will share that information with its residents.
If you’re new to the city – or just haven’t done it yet – be sure to sign up for VBAlert, the city's emergency alert and warning system. Messages are automatically sent to landline telephones in affected areas of the city, but for mobile only users to receive public safety message by text or email, you must register as a new user online or text “VBAlert” to 67283. Specific messages can alert you to problems close to home, work and school.
The City of Virginia Beach also has an active social media presence. Emergency notifications and information is posted on Facebook and Twitter, as well as Nextdoor and Instagram. So be sure to give @CityofVaBeach a follow. The city’s website is another excellent place to find emergency preparedness information and alerts.
TV & Radio
TV and radio are other platforms that the city will use to share information and emergency notifications.
VBTV Cable Channels 46, 47 and 48; Cox Channel 47 and 48; and Verizon Channel 45 and 47 provide emergency information including the city's operational status and facilities closure notices.
The city also sends updates to the news desks of the local public television stations: Channels WTKR 3, WAVY 10 and WVEC 13.
NOAA Weather Radio provides continuous broadcasts of the latest weather information from your local National Weather Service office 24/7.
24/7 Emergency Contacts
Have the following phone numbers nearby for the next time you need help before, during or after an emergency.
- Police/Fire/Rescue (emergencies only): 911
- Police/Fire/Rescue (non-life-threatening public safety services): (757) 385-5000
- City Information (non-emergency): (757) 385-3111
- Mental Health/Substance Abuse Hotline : (757) 385-0888
- Office of Emergency Management: (757) 385-3111
- Water and Sewer Service: (757) 385-4631
- Water and Sewer Service (emergency after hours/weekends/holidays): (757) 385-3111
- Waste and Debris Management: (757) 385-4650
- American Red Cross: (757) 446-7700
- Cox Communications: (757) 224-1111
- Dominion Energy: (888) 667-3000
- FEMA: (800) 621-3362; TTY: (800) 462-7585
- National Poison Center: (800) 222-1222
- Verizon: (800) 837-4966
- Virginia Department of Emergency Management: (804) 897-6500
- Virginia Department of Transportation: 511 or (800) 367-7623
- Virginia Natural Gas: (877) 572-3342