The City of Virginia Beach Will Recognize Juneteenth on Monday, June 20
Last year, City Council voted on a resolution to make Juneteenth (June 19) a permanent City Holiday. Juneteenth marks the day in 1865 that enslaved people in Galveston, Texas, the last of the former Confederate states to abolish slavery, heard that the Civil War had ended and learned that the Emancipation Proclamation had made them free nearly two years earlier. It is generally considered the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States.
In observance of Juneteenth, most City offices and facilities will be CLOSED Monday, June 20. Please note:
- The Sandler Center Box office and administrative offices will be closed.
- The Voter Registrar's Office will be open on June 20 because of the election on Tuesday, June 21.
- Thoroughgood House will be open for tours on Sunday, June 19. The Princess Anne County Training School/Union Kempsville High School Museum will open 3-5 p.m. during the "African American Music Month Celebrating Juneteenth" event on June 19. Both locations will be closed on Monday, June 20, along with the Francis Land House and Lynnhaven House, which remain closed due to ongoing restorations.
- Waste Management administrative offices and the West Neck Recycling Center will be closed. (Waste Management collections and Landfill and Resource Recovery Center schedules are unaffected as they do not operate on Mondays.)
The following City facilities will be OPEN (normal business hours) on Sunday, June 19, and Monday, June 20:
- All City recreation centers, parks and park facilities
- Lifeguard stands at Sandbridge, Market Place and Little Island Beaches will be staffed with continued active beach patrolling until sunset
- The Virginia Aquarium (guests are encouraged to purchase tickets in advance at tickets.virginiaaquarium.com)
- Virginia Beach Animal Care and Adoption Center
- Virginia Beach Farmers Market will be open. Visit www.vbgov.com/farmersmarket for individual merchant store hours.
- The Farmers Market Management Office will be closed on Monday, June 20.
- Visitor Information Center at 2100 Parks Ave, 24th and 17th Street Information Kiosks at the Oceanfront and Chesapeake Bay Center at First Landing State Park
The following State offices will also be CLOSED on Monday, June 20:
- All Virginia Beach Courts and Clerk's Offices
- Commonwealth Attorney's Office
- Virginia Beach Department of Public Health
For information regarding City services and information, contact VB311 Citizen Services by dialing 311 on landlines or cell phone within the city limits, or visit www.VBgov.com for online assistance.
# # #