In honor of Library Lover’s Month: Seven things to love about your library (that you probably didn’t know)
Virginia Beach Public Library (VBPL) has books of every genre available to borrow for free. For many residents, that is reason enough to fall in love. But libraries offer much more than books. In observance of National Library Lover's Month, here are seven things that you are going to love about VBPL:
- Digital materials: e-books, digital audiobooks, research tools, learning platforms, plus music, movies, magazines and more for you to download or stream to your devices.
- Access to technology: take home robotic toys, use a 3-D printer, learn to fly a drone, borrow a Wifi hotspot, try a Roku streaming stick, access computers and the internet and more.
- Local history and genealogy resources: browse digital and physical collections featuring thousands of postcards, photographs, local maps, family papers, yearbooks and other materials and resources to connect you with your past.
- Free programs for all ages: attend in person, online, or out in the community.
- Career Online High School: a convenient, flexible opportunity for Virginia Beach adults, age 20 and up, to earn an accredited high school diploma and career certificate at no cost.
- Research assistance: VBPL reference staff answered more than 4,000 questions in January 2022 alone. There is a lot of information available online, but how do you know it's accurate? Library staff are trained information professionals who can point you in the right direction. Call 757-385-0150 or email library@VBgov.com for assistance.
- Equitable access for all: Libraries offer something to appeal to everyone, which means there is likely something to offend everyone, too. VBPL provides equitable access to books and information so that you can read what you want and others can do the same.
A VBPL account, free for Virginia Beach residents, is all you need to access most library services. If you don't have an account, register online now and start loving your library!
About Virginia Beach Public Library
Virginia Beach Public Library includes a central library, a joint-use library in partnership with Tidewater Community College, seven area libraries and a public law library. Services include workforce development and job-search support, small business resources, computer and technology classes, early literacy classes and outreach, and local history archives and programs. In addition to books, music, magazines and movies in tangible and digital formats, the library provides online research tools accessible from home or work, and a variety of specialty collections. Visit www.VBgov.com/libraries for more information.