Deadline Extended for Applications to Serve on 5/31 Memorial Committee
For anyone interested in applying to serve on the 5/31 Memorial Committee, the deadline to apply has been extended to Monday, Nov. 15, 2021. The questionnaire and application are available at www.loveforvb.com/memorial/permanent-memorial Both are due to City Clerk Amanda Barnes by Nov. 15, 2021.
The City has hired consulting firm Kearns & West to facilitate the memorial planning process. Kearns & West will serve as the family and survivor liaison, facilitate the Memorial Committee, and create multiple opportunities for the families, survivors, and community to provide input in the memorial planning process. After applicant names and identifying information have been redacted, the questionnaires will be reviewed by the family and survivor liaison for recommendations to the City Council. The City Council may consider the recommendations, but they will not be binding on the Council.
At their meeting on Sept. 5, 2021, the City Council established responsibilities and make-up of the Committee. The goals of the 5/31 Memorial Committee shall include:
- creating firm protocols for meeting structure and consensus-building
- creating a vision for the memorial
- setting project priorities goals, and building consensus on the design
- leading a transparent process open to any interested members of the public or stakeholders
- advocating for the families, survivors and community
- soliciting input from the stakeholders and public
- developing design goals and recommendations on the memorial site, and funding for the memorial using collected input
- determining a preferred location for the memorial
- providing project budgets and mobilizing funding
- soliciting design proposals
- reviewing proposals, conducting selection process, and making a final recommendation to City Council
- overseeing the installation and dedication of memorial
For more information, see the Oct. 8 news release about the 5/31 Memorial Committee.