Closings, Cancelations and Storm-Related Information Announced for Weekend: Effective Midnight Tonight, City Under Essential Operating Conditions
The City of Virginia Beach is continuing to monitor forecasts and preparing for the expected winter storm this weekend. Citizens should prepare for the inclement weather and follow the latest information on Facebook.com/CityofVaBeach, Twitter.com/CityofVaBeach, Nextdoor and VBTV. Also, tune into your local TV and radio stations. If you need help, information or resources before, during or after the storm, call 311. Only call 911 for emergencies. Winter storm emergency preparedness information and all news releases are available at emergency.vbgov.com/winter-storm-january-2022.
City Operating Status
- Beginning at midnight tonight, all City offices and facilities will operate under Essential Operating Conditions through Saturday, Jan. 29. This means the City is performing only essential functions (public safety and public infrastructure), and offices and facilities are not open for business. Please stay tuned for further changes.
Cancelations and Closings as of 3:30 p.m. on Jan. 28, 2022
The following locations will be closed on Saturday, Jan. 29:
- Princess Anne County Training School/Union Kempsville High School Museum
- Thoroughgood House
- Sandler Center for the Performing Arts box office
Parks & Recreation
- All recreation centers and parks are closed Saturday, Jan. 29.
- There will be no youth basketball this weekend.
- Sledding is prohibited on Mt. Trashmore or at any other city property.
- Winter Wildlife Festival – All activities for today, including trips, workshops, Service Project and virtual keynote will be held as scheduled.
- All activities for Saturday, Jan. 29 and Sunday, Jan. 30, including the exhibit hall, are canceled.
- This includes:
- All registered trips & excursions on Saturday and Sunday
- Exhibit Hall at Princess Anne Rec Center scheduled for Saturday
- StoryWalks scheduled for Mount Trashmore Park on Sunday and at Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge on Saturday and Sunday
- Wildlife on the Line Service Project on Sunday at Lake Smith
Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center
- The Aquarium & Marine Science Center and the Adventure Park will be closed Saturday, Jan. 29.
- The Adventure Park will adjust Sunday hours to 1-5 p.m.
- Whale watching tours scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 29 and Sunday, Jan. 30 are canceled.
Virginia Beach Convention Center
- Mid Atlantic Sports and Boat Show: open today, Friday, Jan. 28, 2022 until 8 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday show hours for this weekend have been postponed until next weekend.
- The show will be open Saturday, Feb. 5, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 6, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Virginia Beach Department of Public Health
- VBDPH has cancelled the vaccine clinic at Brandon Middle School and the testing clinic at New Hope Baptist Church scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022.
- Those who have scheduled appointments will be notified by email.
Virginia Beach Sheriff's Office
- On-site inmate visitation will be unavailable tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 29.
- This does not affect the web-based tablet visits or phone calls.
- Family and friends can review the inmate visitation procedures on www.vbso.net.
Virginia Beach Sports Center:
- The Track & Field event scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 29 will have a delayed start time.
- Staff are to arrive at 8:30 a.m. and athletes / attendees will arrive at 9:45 a.m.
- The Platform Middle School Basketball Tournament has been postponed to April 15-16, 2022.
Virginia Beach Visitor Information Center:
- The Visitor Information Center at 2100 Parks Ave. will be closed Saturday, Jan. 29, 2022.
Waste Management Operations
- There are no delays for the collection of trash, yard waste, and bulky items.
- Recycling service is on a one-day delay.
- Thursday areas are being serviced today, Friday, Jan. 28.
- Friday residents can expect recycling service on Monday, Jan. 31.
- Closures for Saturday, Jan. 29:
- Landfill and Resource Recovery Center (landfill will reopen on Tuesday, Feb. 1).
- West Neck Recycling Center (will reopen on Monday, Jan. 31, if conditions are safe).
Virginia Beach Public Library
- On Saturday, Jan. 29 all Libraries including the TCC/City Joint-Use Library will be closed.
Emergency Shelter for People Experiencing Homelessness
Limited congregate shelter space will be available at the Housing Resource Center for unsheltered individuals. Individuals and families who are experiencing homelessness and need shelter for this weekend should call 757-385-5167.
Hampton Roads Transit
- HRT service will be suspended Saturday, Jan. 29. The suspension of service means no bus, light rail, paratransit or ferry service will be provided.
- The Customer Service Call center, transit center information booths, and all administrative facilities will be closed.
- HRT will conclude service on Friday in the regular fashion and will evaluate conditions in the field on Saturday morning to determine if Sunday service is feasible. For more information or to learn when service will resume, please visit gohrt.com or call 757-222-6100.