August 23, 2021

Commonwealth v. Roel Ray Delua; Man Kills Estranged Husband and Lights House on Fire, Hits Woman with Car; Sentenced to 30 Years

​Colin D. Stolle, Commonwealth's Attorney for the City of Virginia Beach, announced today that Roel Ray Delua, 36 years old, formerly of the 1700 block of Rose Petal Drive in Virginia Beach, Virginia, pled guilty to charges of Second Degree Murder, Wounding in the Commission of a Felony, Malicious Wounding, and Hit and Run – Personal Injury. In accordance with a plea agreement, Circuit Court Judge Kevin M. Duffan accepted Delua's plea and sentenced him to seventy (70) years in prison with forty (40) years suspended, leaving thirty (30) years to serve. This sentence is greater than the recommendation of the Virginia State Sentencing Guidelines, which recommended a sentence no greater than 25 years and eight (8) months.

Had this matter gone to trial, the Commonwealth's evidence would have proven that in late December of 2018, Roel Delua's husband, John Kilgore, moved out of the home they shared on Rose Petal Drive in Virginia Beach. Kilgore told Delua he wanted to begin the separation and divorce process, so they began separating assets and selling the home. On January 28, 2019, Kilgore went to the home to meet someone who came to buy a desk. His mother drove him to the home and waited outside. After the desk purchaser left, Delua stabbed Kilgore multiple times in the face, neck, chest, torso, abdomen, back, and hands. He left Kilgore's body in an upstairs bedroom, started a fire on the kitchen stove, and left the home.

Kilgore's mother still sat outside the home waiting for Kilgore. When she saw flames in the house, she ran across the road toward the home. Delua, who was parked a short distance down the street, rapidly accelerated and struck her with his car. She suffered significant bruising and a laceration to her head. Upon regaining consciousness, she crawled to a nearby home and called for help. The Virginia Beach Fire Department extinguished the fire and found Kilgore deceased.

Meanwhile, Delua went to a nearby Walmart and slashed his own neck and arms in a suicide attempt. Virginia Beach Police located him in the Walmart bathroom and transported him to the hospital. During a subsequent interview at the Detective Bureau, Delua confirmed his relationship with Kilgore and said that Kilgore's family turned Kilgore against him. He said he deserved the death penalty and would only tell detectives what happened if they promised him the death penalty.

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorneys Katharine D. Aicher and Adam J. Lantz prosecuted the case. Please contact Macie Allen if additional information is desired.

Keep Reading

See All Posts